Tuesday, January 28, 2014

2014 Gates Annual Letter

So, I'm in a class on international economic development policy, and it's really been opening my eyes to poverty, humanitarian work, and development. Bill and Melinda Gates published this letter at the beginning of the year to dispel some "myths" about international development.
Here's one of my favorite points: "Creating societies where people enjoy basic health, relative prosperity, fundamental equality, and access to contraceptives is the only way to secure a sustainable world. We will build a better future for everyone by giving people the freedom and the power to build a better future for themselves and their families."

I'm no expert, but the way I see it, the more people are happier, higher educated, and productive, the more  likely they are to come up with great ideas that make our lives better like smart phone apps to tell you if it's dark outside, or poo pourri , or THIS! I know, right?

But seriously, with more people able to focus less on where they're going to find their next meal or if they can pay for meds to keep their kid from dying of diarrhea, people will be able to focus their energy on solving problems that are less urgent but important like: the debt crisis, pollution, terrorism, and why I can't seem to keep  my wonderfully curly hair from randomly turning into a giant ball of frizz. Because that's what people do, we solve problems with our miraculously developed large frontal lobes, and we're dang good at it!

I can't wait to see all of the amazing innovations that come about in the near future, and I know that the more people are educated and provided opportunities to do stuff like think creatively, the more economic pie will be available for everyone to get a bigger piece.

The world is an amazing place, and I'm privileged to be a part of it  in this day and age.

Here's a link to the rest of the letter. Please put aside any assumptions and political biases you may have towards Mr. Gates and evaluate it on the merit of the content.

Cheers,
Tonya




No comments:

Post a Comment