Friday, February 7, 2014

A Word on Hermione Granger

So, I totally don't have time to be doing this with a presentation in an hour and a test tomorrow, but I have to add my two cents to the Hermione-Ron-Harry debacle that's been cantering around the internet.

As some of you know, I consider Hermione to be my fictional soul-character. If I were to be any character in literature, it would be her, and I think we have a lot in common: amazing hair, a love for learning, an immense fear of failure, and an intense drive to succeed at whatever is thrown in our path.

Check the hair. 














I remember when we were waiting for the third book to come out, and our home teacher predicted that Hermione would be with Ron and Harry with Ginny. At first, 12-year-old me was shocked! Hermione was so awesome, she totes deserved the hero!

Then I grew up and thought about it more and realized that Hermione and Ron were a great fit for each other. Here's my reasoning why:

Hermione needs a yin for her yang. She needs someone who can tell her to chill out, help her laugh at life, and stop her when she's being too ridiculous. Ron is exactly this person. He has always been able to simultaneously infuriate her and make her laugh. He helps her realize when she's taking herself too seriously, and will help her maintain a perspective when things don't go perfectly according to her well-laid plans. Opposites don't always attract, but Ron and Hermione do in all the important ways.

Don't get me wrong. Hermione and Ron will definitely fight. In our organizational behavior class, we called this storming. It's a part of team building and a necessary part of growing together as a team, or in a relationship. The great thing about Ron and Hermione is that they're not afraid to fight with each other. They're going to get all their issues right out in the open, yell about them for a bit, and then find a way to come together and resolve them because they love each other and want to make it work.

Ron, under all his character flaws is a very loyal friend. Only intense love and loyalty could motivate him to continue to live under Harry's shadow as a best friend. Albeit, there is a point where his delicate ego can't take it anymore and he leaves, but the best part is he COMES BACK! Relationships are about forgiving each other and helping each other grow. Ron is loyal enough to stick with Hermione through the thick and thin. He may storm out for a bit, but he'll come right back.

I could go on, but homework, studying, and my own life is calling my name. Maybe despite all the other reasons. I think Ron would be with Hermione because personally I would go for Ron over Harry, or anyone else in the books. He's not perfect, he's rough around the edges, but he's willing to learn, grow and forgive with Hermione, and I think that's what's important in a long-term relationship.




No comments:

Post a Comment